Each state has different requirements for forming a corporation. Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you’ll want to understand state requirements for Iowa incorporation.
Cost to incorporate in Iowa
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the state fees to form an Iowa corporation. View our pricing to incorporate as a C corporation or S corporation to plainly see:
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Iowa with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Articles of Incorporation.
The name must contain the words "Corporation," "Incorporated," "Company," "Limited" or the abbreviation "Corp.," "Inc.," "Co.," "Ltd." or words or abbreviations of like import in another language. The name must be distinguishable from that of any domestic or foreign corporation authorized to transact business or a name to which exclusive right is, at the time, reserved or registered.
The following are Iowa’s requirements for directors of corporations:
- Minimum number. Corporations must have one or more directors.
- Residence requirements. Iowa does not have a provision specifying where directors must reside.
- Age requirements. Directors must be at least 18 years old.
- Inclusion in the Articles of Incorporation. Director names and addresses are required to be listed in the Articles of Incorporation.
Requirements for the Articles of Incorporation
The document required to form a corporation in Iowa is called the Articles of Incorporation. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Iowa's requirements include:
- Officers. Officer names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Articles of Incorporation.
- Stock. Authorized shares and par value must be listed in the Articles of Incorporation. An increase in the number of shares or par value does not affect initial filing fees.
- Registered agent. Corporations must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Iowa. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Professional services businesses
Iowa allows professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians to form a professional corporation (PC).
Additional Iowa information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Iowa:
Explore BizFilings' Services