Each state has different requirements for forming a limited liability company (LLC). Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you'll want to understand the state requirements for LLC formation.
Cost to form an Iowa LLC
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the Iowa state fees. When you view our pricing to form an LLC you plainly see:
Form an Iowa LLC Incorporation Options
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Iowa with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Organization.
The LLC name must end with "Limited Liability Company," "LLC," "L.L.C.," "Limited Company," "Ltd. Co.," "LC" or "L.C." It must be distinguishable from the name of any domestic or foreign LLC authorized to transact business or a name to which exclusive right is, at the time, reserved or registered.
The following are Iowa’s requirements for the members/managers of LLCs:
- Minimum number. LLCs must have one or more members/managers.
- Residence requirements. Iowa does not have a provision specifying where members/managers must reside.
- Age requirements. Iowa does not have age requirements.
- Inclusion in the Certificate of Organization. Member/Manager names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Certificate of Organization.
Requirements for the Certificate of Organization
The document required to form an LLC in Iowa is called the Certificate of Organization. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Iowa's requirements include:
Iowa Registered Agent Service
- Registered agent. LLCs must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Iowa. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Professional services businesses
Iowa allows professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC).
Additional Iowa information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Iowa:
Explore BizFilings' Services