After forming a corporation, you must undertake certain steps on an ongoing basis to keep your business in compliance. These steps are also important in preserving the limited liability a corporation provides its owners. This guide outlines the ongoing requirements for Kentucky corporations.
Kentucky corporations must keep the following with their corporate records at their principal office:
- The Articles of Incorporation and any amendments
- Bylaws or restated bylaws and any amendments
- Resolutions adopted by the board of directors creating one or more classes or series of shares, and fixing their relative rights, preferences, and limitations
- Minutes of shareholder meetings for the past three years
- Records of actions taken by the shareholders without a meeting for the past three years
- Written communications to shareholders for the past three years, including financial statements
- A list of names and business addresses of current directors and officers
- Most recent annual report
Corporate taxes and fees
The following are taxation requirements and ongoing fees for Kentucky corporations:
- Annual report. Kentucky requires corporations to file an annual report between January 1 and June 30. The fee is $15.
- Taxes. For complete details on state taxes for Kentucky corporations, visit Business Owner's Toolkit or the State of Kentucky.
- Federal tax identification number (EIN). An EIN is required for corporations that will have employees. Additionally, most banks require an EIN in order to open a business bank account.
- State tax identification number. Kentucky requires a state tax identification number.
Business licenses and/or permits are required for most businesses. The BizFilings Business License Application Package can help you stay on top of these requirements.
S corporation election
Kentucky recognizes the federal S corporation election and does not require a state-level S corporation election.
Additional Kentucky information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Kentucky:
Explore BizFilings' Services