Each state has different requirements for forming a limited liability company (LLC). Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you'll want to understand the state requirements for LLC formation.
Cost to form a Louisiana LLC
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the Louisiana state fees. When you view our pricing to form an LLC you plainly see:
Form a Louisiana LLC Incorporation Options
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Louisiana with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Articles of Organization.
The name of an LLC must end with "Limited Liability Company," "LC," "LLC" or "L.L.C." The words "State" and "Security" cannot be used in the name. Words such as "Bank," "Cooperative," "Guarantee," "Loan," "Mutual," "Savings," "Trust" and others require approval from the Office of Financial Institutions.
The following are Louisiana’s requirements for the members/managers of LLCs:
- Minimum number. LLCs must have one or more members/managers.
- Residence requirements. Louisiana requires members/managers to have a physical address (no post office boxes).
- Age requirements. Louisiana does not have age requirements.
- Inclusion in the Articles of Organization. Member/Manager names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Articles of Organization, but they do need to be listed in the initial report, which is due at the time of incorporation.
Requirements for the Articles of Organization
The document required to form an LLC in Louisiana is called the Articles of Organization. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Louisiana's requirements include:
Louisiana Registered Agent Service
- Registered agent. LLCs must list (in the initial report) the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Louisiana. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Other filings required at time of incorporation
Some states require additional filings or steps at the time of incorporation, such as a county level filing, publishing notice of the LLC formation in a local newspaper or an initial report filing. Louisiana requires the following:
- Initial report. Louisiana requires LLCs to file an initial report at the time of incorporation.
Professional services businesses
Louisiana only allows dentists to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC).
Additional Louisiana information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Louisiana:
Explore BizFilings' Services