Each state has different requirements for forming a limited liability company (LLC). Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you'll want to understand the state requirements for LLC formation.
Cost to form a Maine LLC
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the Maine state fees. When you view our pricing to form an LLC you plainly see:
Form a Maine LLC Incorporation Options
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Maine with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Articles of Organization.
The LLC name must end with "Limited Liability Company," "LLC" or "L.L.C." The name cannot be any name that is the same as or deceptively similar to that of any domestic or foreign-qualified LLC without authorization. The name cannot utilize a reserved name. The name shall not contain any word or phrase indicating it is organized for any purpose not permitted by Maine law.
The following are Maine’s requirements for the members/managers of LLCs:
- Minimum number. LLCs must have one or more members/managers.
- Residence requirements. Maine does not have a provision specifying where members/managers must reside.
- Age requirements. Maine does not have age requirements.
- Inclusion in the Articles of Organization. Member names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Articles of Organization, but manager names and addresses are required to be included.
Requirements for the Articles of Organization
The document required to form an LLC in Maine is called the Articles of Organization. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Maine's requirements include:
Maine Registered Agent Service
- Registered agent. LLCs must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Maine. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Professional services businesses
Maine allows professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC).
Additional Maine information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Maine:
Explore BizFilings' Services