Each state has different requirements for forming a limited liability company (LLC). Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you'll want to understand the state requirements for LLC formation.
Cost to form a Maryland LLC
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the Maryland state fees. When you view our pricing to form an LLC you plainly see:
Form a Maryland LLC Incorporation Options
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Maryland with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- 48-hour turn-around. Maryland has a 48-hour filing option, which is outlined in our pricing.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Articles of Organization.
Maryland LLC name requirement
The name of an LLC must end with "Limited Liability Company," "L.L.C., "LLC," "L.C." or "LC." The name may not contain language stating or implying that the LLC is organized for a purpose other than the one permitted by the Articles of Organization. The name cannot be the same as or deceptively similar to that of a domestic or foreign-qualified LLC. Listing wording within parentheses within the company name implies multiple names and is not allowed.
The following are Maryland’s requirements for the members/managers of LLCs:
- Minimum number. LLCs must have one or more members/managers.
- Residence requirements. Maryland does not have a provision specifying where members/managers must reside.
- Age requirements. Maryland does not have age requirements.
- Inclusion in the Articles of Organization. Member/Manager names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Articles of Organization.
Requirements for the Articles of Organization
The document required to form an LLC in Maryland is called the Articles of Organization. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Maryland's requirements include:
Maryland Registered Agent Service
- Registered agent. LLCs must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Maryland. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Professional services businesses
Maryland does not allow professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC); however, professionals may incorporate their businesses as an LLC.
Additional Maryland information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Maryland:
Explore BizFilings' Services