Each state has different requirements for forming a limited liability company (LLC). Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you'll want to understand the state requirements for LLC formation.
Cost to form a Montana LLC
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the Montana state fees. When you view our pricing to form an LLC you plainly see:
Form a Montana LLC Incorporation Options
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Montana with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- 24-hour turn-around. Montana has a 24-hour filing option, which is outlined in our pricing.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Articles of Organization.
The name of an LLC must end with "Limited Liability Company," "Limited Company," "LC," "LLC" or "L.L.C." The name must be distinguishable from that of any LLC authorized to transact business in the state, a reserved or registered name, any assumed business name, limited partnership name, corporation name, trademark or service mark.
The following are Montana’s requirements for the members/managers of LLCs:
- Minimum number. LLCs must have one or more members/managers.
- Residence requirements. Montana does not have a provision specifying where members/managers must reside.
- Age requirements. Montana does not have age requirements.
- Inclusion in the Articles of Organization. Member/Manager names and addresses are required to be listed in the Articles of Organization.
Requirements for the Articles of Organization
The document required to form an LLC in Montana is called the Articles of Organization. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Montana's requirements include:
Montana Registered Agent Service
- Registered agent. LLCs must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Montana. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Professional services businesses
Montana allows professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC).
Additional Montana information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Montana:
Explore BizFilings' Services