Each state has different requirements for forming a limited liability company (LLC). Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you'll want to understand the state requirements for LLC formation.
Cost to form a New Jersey LLC
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the New Jersey state fees. When you view our pricing to form an LLC you plainly see:
Form a New Jersey LLC Incorporation Options
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in New Jersey with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- 24-hour turn-around. New Jersey has a 24-hour filing option, which is outlined in our pricing.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Formation.
New Jersey LLC name requirement
The name of an LLC must end with "Limited Liability Company," "LLC" or "L.L.C." The name must not contain any word, phrase, abbreviation or derivative thereof indicating or implying it is organized for any purpose other than one or more purposes permitted by its Certificate of Formation. It must be distinguishable from the names of other LLCs, foreign LLCs and current name reservations or registrations. The words "Olympic," "Little League," "Realtor" and "Trust" cannot be used.
The following are New Jersey’s requirements for the members/managers of LLCs:
- Minimum number. LLCs must have one or more members/managers.
- Residence requirements. New Jersey does not have a provision specifying where members/managers must reside.
- Age requirements. Members/managers must be at least 18 years old.
- Inclusion in the Certificate of Formation. Member/Manager names and addresses are required to be listed in the Certificate of Formation.
Requirements for the Certificate of Formation
The document required to form an LLC in New Jersey is called the Certificate of Formation. The information required in the formation document varies by state. New Jersey's requirements include:
New Jersey Registered Agent Service
- Registered agent. LLCs must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in New Jersey. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Professional services businesses
New Jersey does not allow professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC); however, professionals may incorporate as an LLC.
Additional New Jersey information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in New Jersey:
Explore BizFilings' Services