Other Amendment Filing Service

Update information included in your incorporation or foreign qualification documents, such as your company’s business purpose.

Other Amendment Filing Service includes:

  • Prep and filing of amendment documents
  • Shipping of the completed documents to you

File an Amendment

$149 home state
$199 out of state
+ state fees

Need your filing completed quickly? Expedite at checkout for an additional $200.

Other Amendment FAQs

What are Articles of Amendment?

The Articles of Amendment, also sometimes called a Certificate of Amendment, is a document filed with your state of incorporation (or any states in which your company has foreign qualified to transact business), to enact a specific change to the information included in your company’s incorporation or qualification documents.

Back to Top

When do companies need to file an amendment?

You would file an amendment for your company if you need to change information included in your incorporation or foreign qualification (if you have registered your company to transact business in a state or states other than your state of incorporation) document. For example, if you included a specific or detailed business purpose clause in your incorporation documents and the nature of your business changes, you would need to amend your business purpose to accurately reflect the nature of your business activities.

Back to Top

What type of amendments does BizFilings file?

BizFilings can file an amendment to change most any information included in your company’s incorporation or foreign qualification documents. We have one online order form for amending the name of your company (our Name Amendment Filing Service) and another order form for all other types of amendments. If you need to amend both the name of your company and other information, visit our Name Amendment Filing Service page. You can also place amendment orders by phone with our Incorporation Specialists.

Back to Top

Can you help me file an amendment even if I didn’t incorporate my company with BizFilings?

We will gladly prepare and file the necessary amendment documents for your business in any state.

Back to Top

What information do I need to have before I place my order?

When ordering our Other Amendment Filing Service, please have the following ready:

  • The information you wish to amend (for example your company’s business purpose information, legal address or management information) and a detailed outline of the new information to include
  • State of incorporation
  • Business type (corporation, LLC, etc.)
  • Current company name (exactly as it appears on your incorporation documents)
  • Incorporation date
  • Current business purpose
  • Company contact information
  • Director(s) name(s) & address(es) (for corporations) or the names(s) & address(s) of member(s)/manager(s) (for LLC)
  • Officer(s) name(s) & address(es) (for corporations)

If you would like a name amendment to a Certificate of Authority (foreign qualification document) to transact business in another state, you would also need to provide the state of qualification and the qualification date in the order comments field of our online order form.

Back to Top

Does the process for amending incorporation documents differ from amending foreign qualification documents?

The process is very similar, but the states often require more documentation when you are amending the foreign qualification document (which is called a Certificate of Authority). For example, the state of qualification may require a Certificate of Good Standing from the state of incorporation (showing that your company has fulfilled all its obligations in a timely manner in that state) and a Certified Copy of incorporation documents and/or foreign qualification documents. We can obtain these documents on your behalf (extra fees will apply) or you can obtain them and provide them to us.

Back to Top

How do I amend my business purpose information if my documents include a “general-purpose” clause?

The majority of the states allow companies to use a general-purpose clause, such as “all lawful business,” as the business purpose listed in the incorporation or foreign qualification documents. There are also a few states that do not require any business purpose information to be listed. If the general-purpose was listed, or no specific type listed, you do not need to notify the state if the nature of your business activity has changed. In cases where a specific business purpose (one that explains your business activity in more detail) was included in the incorporation or foreign qualification documents and the nature of your business has changed, you need to alter this information by filing Articles of Amendment.

Back to Top

Need Help?


Cookies.com video

Tools to Help You Choose

We have resources to help you understand your options.

Guide to Incorporation

Learn what to expect when you're incorporating.

Guide to Incorporating - Download Free PDF