After forming a corporation, you must undertake certain steps on an ongoing basis to keep your business in compliance. These steps are also important in preserving the limited liability a corporation provides its owners. This guide outlines the ongoing requirements for Pennsylvania corporations.
Pennsylvania corporate records
Pennsylvania corporations must keep the following items with their corporate records at the principal office in Pennsylvania or the registered office:
- Complete and accurate books and records of account
- Minutes of the proceedings of the incorporators, shareholders and directors
- A share register giving the names and addresses of all shareholders and the number and class of shares held by each
Pennsylvania corporate taxes and fees
The following are taxation requirements and ongoing fees for Pennsylvania corporations:
- Annual report. Pennsylvania does not require corporations to file an annual report separate from the Corporate Tax Report.
- Taxes. Pennsylvania requires corporations to file a Corporate Tax Report with the Department of Revenue on or before April 15 or the 30th day after the federal due date for corporations operating on a fiscal year rather than a calendar year. Net income tax, capital stock tax, franchise tax and corporate loans tax are due with the report. For complete details on state taxes for Pennsylvania corporations, visit Business Owner's Toolkit or the State of Pennsylvania.
- Federal tax identification number (EIN). An EIN is required for corporations that will have employees. Additionally, most banks require an EIN in order to open a business bank account.
- State tax identification number. Pennsylvania does not require a state tax identification number.
Pennsylvania business licenses
Business licenses and/or permits are required for most businesses. The BizFilings Business License Application Package can help you stay on top of these requirements.
S corporation election
Pennsylvania recognizes the federal S corporation election and does not require a state-level S corporation election.
Additional Pennsylvania information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Pennsylvania:
Explore BizFilings' Services