What is a registered agent?
is a term many business owners have never heard before. To learn that a
registered agent is required when you incorporate a business or register to
transact business in another state (also called foreign qualification) often comes as a surprise.
The registered agent is responsible for receiving important legal and tax documents on behalf of incorporated companies, such as the following:
- Service of Process—sometimes called Notice of Litigation—which initiates a lawsuit
- Important state mail, such as annual reports or statements
- Tax documents sent by the state’s department of taxation
The registered agent must have a physical address
(not a post office box) in the state of incorporation or qualification and must be
available at that address during normal business hours.
Advantages of BizFilings’ Registered Agent Services
At BizFilings, we believe that being a registered agent goes beyond fulfilling the statutory requirement. We provide tools and alerts to help you stay on top of important compliance obligations. Unlike other providers of registered agent services, BizFilings doesn’t charge extra for the services you need to stay informed and compliant. We offer:
- Experience. Our family of companies has been providing registered agent services nationwide, through a company-owned network of offices, for more than 100 years.
- Online tools. BizComply is our exclusive, online compliance management tool. It lets you schedule and track all your company and compliance events, and it emails you reminders of upcoming compliance obligations. View our BizComply demo.
- Prompt handling of documents. We provide prompt and efficient handling of important state, tax and legal documents received on behalf of your company.
- Professional and discreet Service of Process delivery. We’ll email and scan Service of Process documents to you for fast, personal viewing.
- Exceptional, friendly customer service. Available by phone, email or live chat, our knowledgeable representatives are happy to answer questions you have about compliance, your account or placing an order with us.
- 24/7 online access. Use our Online Status Center to view electronic copies of Service of Process documents, update your account, pay renewal invoices and more.
Key Benefits of Registered Agents
The BizFilings family of companies has been helping business owners stay in compliance and good standing for more than 100 years. We provide nationwide service and are compliance experts. We have a staff of attorneys that constantly monitor corporate registration requirements in all 50 states, and we are intimately familiar with the regulations, requirements and deadlines specific to the states in which you do business. When to Use a Registered Agent Service
Keep in Mind
of Process is the document that initiates a lawsuit. Failing to respond in a
timely manner can result in default judgment against your company, meaning that
a judge can award the full damages sought to the plaintiff. With BizFilings,
you are notified by email of any Service of Process that has been served to
BizFilings as your agent. You can access it online and can easily forward it to
your legal counsel.