Small Business News
Small Business News

Filed under Running a Business.

Expanding Your Business? Foreign Qualification Protects Your Rights in a New State

By Marcia Richards Suelzer, MA, JD | October 06, 2016

Building under construction as business expands

If you neglect to obtain a certificate of authority to conduct business in a new state, you can forfeit valuable rights—and put your assets and your company at risk. Any corporation or LLC that does business in any state other its home state needs to obtain a certificate of authority from that state. This process, often known as foreign qualification, puts foreign companies on the same footing as domestic companies and ensures that the public has access to information about the company.

To motivate companies to comply with the foreign qualification requirements, states generally limit access to their court system to domestic and properly registered foreign corporations and LLCs. While you’re usually able to defend yourself whether or not you’ve registered in the state, you won’t be able to bring a lawsuit to assert a claim against someone who has wronged you. This can prove costly.

Recently, a manufacturer sued a customer for failure to pay (Drake Manufacturing Company, Inc. v. Polyflow, Inc.). The purchaser didn’t claim that the products were defective. It didn’t deny that it hadn’t paid. Instead, it argued that the manufacturer had no right to sue because it hadn’t registered to do business in the state. And, the purchaser won—getting $300,000 worth of goods for free. 

While, you usually can “cure” the problem by registering with the state before bringing a lawsuit—or it the early stages of the proceeding, it’s risky to count on curing a problem that is so easy to prevent.

Even though a company generally is able to defend itself when sued, the company must be aware of the lawsuit in order to do so. When you foreign qualify, you must appoint a registered agent who will ensure that you receive notice of a lawsuit. 

Without this protection, you might not learn of the lawsuit until a default judgment has been entered against your company. Again, you may be able to set aside the default judgment, but quite often the courts are unwilling to get you out of a mess that you got yourself into by not following the state’s rules.

There can be unfortunate consequences other than lack of access to the court system. The corporation or LLC could be hit with fines, penalties and back taxes for the time it was transacting business without obtaining a certificate of authority to do so. For example, Connecticut imposes a fine of $300 for every month it operates in the state without being registered to do so. And, in some states, individual officers or agents may be fined as well.

Don’t let your company be stripped of its rights by failing to foreign qualify in each state where you are doing business. The best practice is to make sure that you take steps to obtain a certificate of authority as soon as you begin doing business in a state other than your home state.

blog comments powered by Disqus