Using Lie Detector Tests in Illinois
The use of lie detector tests by employers in Illinois is subject to these state rules.
Unless directly related to employment, a lie detector examiner may not inquire into any of the following areas during pre-employment or periodic employment examinations:
- religious beliefs or affiliations
- beliefs or opinions regarding racial matters
- political beliefs or affiliations
- beliefs, affiliations or lawful activities regarding unions or labor organizations
- sexual preferences or activity
The use of a voice stress analyzer is prohibited in pre-employment screenings.