Employers in Utah must conform with these state rules regarding the minimum wage paid to employees.
The minimum wage in Utah is $7.25 per hour.
The minimum wage in Utah mirrors the federal minimum wage.
The minimum wage does not apply to an employee covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) or to the following employees:
- outside salespersons
- an employee who is a member of the employer's immediate family
- casual and domestic employees
- companionship services for persons who are unable to care for themselves because of age or infirmity
- seasonal employees of nonprofit camping programs, religious or recreation programs, and nonprofit educational and charitable organizations
- persons employed by the U.S. government
- prisoners employed through the penal system
- a worker employed in agriculture if the employee:
- is principally engaged in the range production of livestock;
- is employed as a harvest laborer and is paid on a piece-rate basis in an operation that has been and is generally recognized by custom as having been paid on a piece-rate basis in the region of employment;
- was employed in agriculture less than 13 weeks during the preceding calendar year; or
- is a retired or semiretired person performing part-time or incidental work as a condition of residence on a farm or ranch
- registered apprentices or students employed by the educational institution in which they are enrolled
- seasonal hourly workers employed by a seasonal amusement establishment with permanent structures and facilities that:
- does not operate for more than seven months in a calendar year; or
- during the preceding calendar year its average receipts for any six months of such year were not more than one-third of its average receipts for the other six months of that year may be paid less than the applicable minimum wage, provided that other direct monetary compensation from tips, incentives, commissions, end-of-season bonus, or other form of pay is sufficient to cause the average hourly rate of total compensation for the season of employees who continue to work to the end of the operating season to equal the applicable minimum wage