Each state has different requirements for forming a limited liability company (LLC). Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you'll want to understand the state requirements for LLC formation.
Cost to form a Virginia LLC
At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the Virginia state fees. When you view our pricing to form an LLC you plainly see:
Form a Virginia LLC Incorporation Options
- BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
- State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Virginia with standard turn-around.
- Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
- 48-hour turn-around. Virginia has a 48-hour filing option, which is outlined in our pricing.
- Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Articles of Organization.
The LLC name must end with "Limited Liability Company," "Limited Company," "Ltd. Co.," "LC," "LLC" or "L.L.C." The name cannot use words in parentheses. The name shall not contain any prohibited word or phrase implying the company is organized for any purpose other than that stated in the Articles of Organization. The name may not be confusingly similar to that of any domestic or foreign qualified LLC.
The following are Virginia’s requirements for the members/managers of LLCs:
- Minimum number. LLCs must have one or more members/managers.
- Residence requirements. Virginia does not have a provision specifying where members/managers must reside.
- Age requirements. Virginia does not have age requirements.
- Inclusion in the Articles of Organization. Member/Manager names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Articles of Organization.
Requirements for the Articles of Organization
The document required to form an LLC in Virginia is called the Articles of Organization. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Virginia's requirements include:
Virginia Registered Agent Service
- Registered agent. LLCs must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Virginia. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Professional services businesses
Virginia allows professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC).
Additional Virginia information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Virginia:
Explore BizFilings' Services