Washington Corporation Formation

Each state has different requirements for forming a corporation. Whether you are starting a business or incorporating a business already in existence, you’ll want to understand state requirements for Washington incorporation.

Cost to incorporate in Washington

At BizFilings, we clearly outline our fees and the state fees to form a Washington corporation. View our pricing to incorporate as a C corporation or S corporation to plainly see:

  • BizFilings’ package prices. BizFilings offers three incorporation service packages from which you can choose.
  • State fee for standard turn-around. Our pricing clearly shows the state fee to incorporate in Washington with standard turn-around.
  • Expedited turn-around. You will see the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for expedited turn-around.
  • Certified copy. Our pricing also clearly displays the BizFilings and state fee, if any, for issuing a Certified Copy of the Articles of Incorporation.
Incorporate in Washington    Incorporation Options

Corporate name

The corporate name must include the word "Corporation," "Incorporated," "Company," "Limited" or the abbreviation "Corp.," "Inc.," "Co." or "Ltd." The name must not imply a purpose other than the purpose stated in the Articles of Incorporation. It must be distinguishable from the name of any other domestic corporation or of any foreign corporation authorized to do business in state. The words "Bank," "Loan" and "Home Loan" require approval from the Department of Financial Institutions. The word "Trust" cannot be used in a name. Use of the word "Co-Operative" is restricted.

Director information

The following are Washington’s requirements for directors of corporations:

  • Minimum number. Corporations must have one or more directors.
  • Residence requirements. Washington does not have a provision specifying where directors must reside.
  • Age requirements. Washington does not have age requirements.
  • Inclusion in the Articles of Incorporation. Director names and addresses are required to be listed in the Articles of Incorporation.

Requirements for the Articles of Incorporation

The document required to form a corporation in Washington is called the Articles of Incorporation. The information required in the formation document varies by state. Washington's requirements include:

  • Officers. Officer names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Articles of Incorporation.
  • Stock. Authorized shares and par value must be listed in the Articles of Incorporation. An increase in the number of shares or par value does not affect initial filing fees.
  • Registered agent. Corporations must list the name and address of a registered agent with a physical address (no post office boxes) in Washington. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important legal and tax documents for the business.
Washington Registered Agent Service

Other filings required at time of incorporation

Some states require additional filings or steps at the time of incorporation, such as a county level filing, publishing notice of the incorporation in a local newspaper or an initial report filing. Washington requires the following:

  • Initial report. Washington requires corporations to file an initial report within 120 days of incorporation.

Professional services businesses

Washington allows professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a professional corporation (PC).

Additional Washington information

View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Washington: