Time to Startup!

The BizFilings blog covering business tips and trends.

Filing Your DBA, Business License or Permit with Your County

Published on Mar 2, 2012


Read 'Filing Your DBA, Business License or Permit with Your County' at 'Time to Start Up,' the small business blog by BizFilings.
Filing-Your-DBA-Business-License-or-Permit-with-Your-CountyIf you’ve filed for a DBA, permit or business license in the state (or states) where you do business, you might think you’ve covered all your bases. And you might be right. But depending on your state, and more importantly your county, there might be more to do in order for you to remain compliant. Some counties require you to file for a DBA, business license or permit with them in addition to the filing you complete with the state.

DBA (Doing Business As)

When you file for a DBA, you may have to file with the state, or with your county, or both depending on your county’s requirements.

Business Licenses & Permits

When it comes to business licenses and permits, you may have to file with the state, the county, or both — again depending on your county’s requirements. You may also have to file on a local level, as well. With licenses and permits, these filings have nothing to do with your actual company formation (LLC, S corp, C corp). As long as you’ve filled all of your states contingencies, you’re typically all set. Instead, these are tethered to your company’s specific business activity — be it an electrician, vet, repairman, etc. For instance, if you’re a plumber, you may need to register on a county level with a particular plumbing union or agency. These filings are typically not with the Secretary of State. Rather, they are with another type of organization that’s affiliated with your specific type of business activity. Unfortunately, there’s no quick way to find out all of your county’s requirements for your particular business type. But getting in touch with certain organizations or agencies (via phone or e-mail) can give you answers, or at least point you in the right direction. Although the following list is far from complete, and different counties have different names for similar agencies, it should provide you with a solid starting point:
  • Secretary of State
  • Clerk of Courts
  • City Treasurer
  • City Licensing Bureau
  • Municipality
Also, any local organization or union that may be affiliated with the type of work you may be able to assist you.

We’re Here to Help

Whether you have questions, need assistance with filing for a DBA (on the state level), or would like help with a business license search, feel free to give our customer service team a call between 8am and 7pm CST, at 800-981-7183. You can also visit our Contact Us page to speak with us via Live Chat during the same days and times. Or, send us an e-mail anytime. We’re always happy to help. Business Blogs blog