The BizFilings blog covering business tips and trends.
Fantastic Free Cloud Apps, Part 6: Google Docs
Published on Jul 22, 2011
Read our article, 'Fantastic Free Cloud Apps, Part 6: Google Docs' at 'Time to Start Up,' the small business blog by BizFilings.
Welcome to the Fantastic Free Cloud Apps series, where we look at the very best cloud-based apps and how they can be harnessed to help your small business get organized and grow.
Next up: Google Docs.
Unless you’ve been living under a very heavy rock, you’ve probably used Google’s search engine. But have you ever noticed the black navigation bar toward the top of the page? There’s a “more” button in this navigation bar that leads you to some amazing stuff — including Google Docs.
What exactly is Google Docs?
As the name implies, it’s a word processor app — much like Microsoft Word. The difference here is that it’s cloud based, making it super-easy to access documents from any computer or a mobile device like an iPhone, Android or Blackberry.
But there’s a whole lot more this app can do. Google Docs lets you:
• Create documents, spreadsheets or presentations from scratch or from one of Google’s templates.
• Upload existing files, including Word docs and many other formats.
• Customize your docs just like you would with a desktop application (bold, indent, bullets, etc).
• Instantly share documents with the people you want to see them. Simply enter their e-mail address and send them an invite.
• Choose whether you want guests to view only, or have the ability to edit a document.
• View and make changes to documents with multiple people in real time, at the same time.
• Safely store all your docs, spreadsheets and presentations — and keep them well organized.
• Save docs and spreadsheets to a computer in multiple formats including DOC, XLS, PDF and HTML.
• Publish your docs as a Web page or post them directly to your blog. You also control of who gains access to these pages.
Click here to get started with Google Docs.
Links to previous Fantastic Free Cloud Apps articles:
DropBox: Simplify your life and your business
Survey Monkey: Create smart, professional surveys with ease
Evernote: Capture anything. Access anywhere. Find things fast
Google Calendar: Never forget another event
HootSuite: The social media dashboard