Office Management & HR

Learn more about the resources available for Office & HR.

Kansas Rules for Employing Minors

Filed under Office & HR.

Employers in Kansas must conform with these state rules relating to the employment of minors.

In Kansas, persons, firms or corporations employing minors under the age of 16 must be required to first obtain and keep on file a work permit, accessible to any person charged with enforcement of the child labor law. A work permit is not required for minors enrolled in or attending any secondary school within the state.

The superintendent of school or a representative authorized by the superintendent (or a judge of the district court) will issue a work permit only after receiving, examining, approving and filing:

  • a written statement signed by the person for whom the minor expects to work, or someone authorized by the person, stating the occupations for which the minor will be employed;
  • the school record of the minor, properly filled out and signed by the principal of the school last attended, stating that the minor has completed the course of study prescribed for elementary schools by the state board of education (a permit may be issued to allow a minor who has not completed the course of study to work when school is not in session in the district where the minor resides); and
  • evidence showing the minor is at least 14 years of age.

Permits may be revoked by the state labor commissioner if it appears to the commissioner that the permit has been improperly or illegally issued or that the physical or moral welfare of the minor could be best served by revoking the permit.

Need Help?

Our experts are always available M-F 8:00-7:00 CT.

800-981-7183's Video