Office Management & HR

Learn more about the resources available for Office & HR.

New Jersey Rules for Employing Minors

Filed under Office & HR.

Employers in New Jersey must conform with these state rules relating to the employment of minors.

In New Jersey, a minor under the age of 18 must have either:

  • an employment certificate, (also known as “working papers”), or
  • a special permit to work (for agricultural, newspaper carrier or theatrical employments).

Workers between 18 and 21 years of age may be required to obtain an age certificate (included on the A300 Employment Certificate) because the employer is requesting proof of age.

Effective October 1, 2012, minors may obtain a blank A300 employment certification form from either the New Jersey Department of Education, the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, or from the issuing officer of the local school district where the minor resides.

The minor must complete the personal information on the employment certification, and the employer must complete the employment information and promise of employment. The minor must obtain a physical or obtain a doctor’s note on fitness to work.

In addition, the minor’s employment certificate must include the authorization of a parent or guardian as specified on the employment information section. It is then up to the minor’s school district to review and issue the employment certificate or to refuse the certificate if refusal is believed to be in the minor’s best interest.

Exceptions and special rules for certain employment exist.

The New Jersey Mine Safety Act specifically prohibits the employment of a person under the age of 18 in or about any mine.

Need Help?

Our experts are always available M-F 8:00-7:00 CT.


20% off ADP Payroll Services

Manage your cash flow with ADP's payroll service. Includes direct deposit, tax filing, and general ledger interface.