Asset Strategies

Learn more about protecting your personal and company assets.

Business Cred: “Good Standing” and Why Your Business Needs It

Has your business ever been asked to provide a “Certificate of Good Standing”? This state-issued document is something you always want to be able to provide if asked. Doing so, however, means keeping your entity in compliance with state filings and other requirements.

After a corporation, limited liability company (LLC) or other entity is formed, the entity needs to maintain “good standing” status in state records. Ensuring the entity’s “good standing” status at all times helps to:

  • Preserve the limited liability that using an entity provides
  • Expand into other states
  • Quickly obtain a “good standing” certificate for lenders
  • Avoid state-imposed fees or penalties
Work Smart

Lenders may require a Certificate of Good Standing to approve financing. Continually maintaining good standing helps to avoid delays (and, ahem, embarrassment) caused by trying to update your status with a state agency in the middle of a deal or loan.

Certificate of Good Standing

Generally, a Certificate of Good Standing simply indicates that the entity has filed all reports and fees with the secretary of state’s office. It serves as proof, or evidence, that the entity exists and is authorized to transact business in the state.


Since business entity laws vary among the states, the document the state provides may be called a “Certificate of Good Standing,” a “Certificate of Existence,” or something similar.

This “proof” concept behind a good standing certificate is fairly simple. However, any failure to maintain good standing is a compliance “red flag” that needs immediate attention.

Common reasons why an entity loses “good standing” status include:

Doing Business In Other States

A Certificate of Good Standing is often required in order to register to do business in other states. Registering to transact business in a state other than your state of formation is generally called foreign qualification.


“Foreign” usually means a different country, e.g. a country outside the United States. In this context though, “foreign” simply means a different state. A corporation or LLC is “domestic” in its state of formation and “foreign” in other states. For example, a business that was incorporated in Ohio is a domestic corporation in the state of Ohio. It is a foreign corporation in other states.

Many states will not authorize a company to transact business in their state unless the business provides a Certificate of Good Standing from its state of formation.


A “Certificate of Authorization” for a foreign corporation is similar to the “Certificate of Good Standing” for a domestic corporation. The Certificate of Authorization generally sets forth that a foreign corporation (i.e., a corporation formed in another state) is authorized to transact business in the state. For example, a business incorporated in Ohio generally would obtain a “Certificate of Good Standing” from Ohio. It would obtain a “Certificate of Authorization” from other (i.e., foreign) states.

What Happens if the Entity Fails to Maintain Good Standing Status

If your business is out of compliance with state laws or requirements, the result is generally an adverse status change with the state.


Entity management software can be very helpful in monitoring your good standing status. Also, a full-service registered agent can provide expert help in monitoring your entity and notifying you of any status changes.

Some states provide generous opportunities for correction before imposing an adverse status change, but others do not. Also, a state may impose fines or penalties on companies that fail to comply and lose good standing.


A compliance failure could even result in the administrative dissolution of the entity and the loss of limited liability protections for the individuals involved.

It’s important to check your entity’s status with the state on a regular basis, ideally monthly. Depending on your business structure, doing this manually could be time-consuming and cumbersome, but it’s well worth the effort.

Work Smart

Many small business owners elect to "outsource" their entity compliance to companies that specialize in providing these services efficiently and economically, such as BizFilings. (On-going compliance management can be provided as a stand-alone service, but is included with registered agent services.) Using compliance professionals frees you up to concentrate on running your business.

Category : Asset Strategies
Tags :
Load more comments
Thank you for the comment! Your comment must be approved first
New code

Need Help?

Our experts are always available M-F 8:00-7:00 CT.


20% off ADP Payroll Services

Manage your cash flow with ADP's payroll service. Includes direct deposit, tax filing, and general ledger interface.

Managed Annual Report Service

We file on your behalf! BizFilings monitors, notifies you and files your annual and franchise tax reports for your businesses. No more missed or late filings.