Foreign Qualification Supporting Documents by State: For-Profit Corporations

To do business in any state other than its incorporation state, a corporation must file a form generally known as an Application for Certificate of Authority. Most states require supporting documentation (obtained within a specific time frame prior to the filing) that the corporation validly exists in its home state.

Foreign Qualification Supporting Document Requirements: For-Profit Corporations

To qualify for a Certificate of Authority many states require additional supporting documents, such as Proof of Existence, an Acceptance of Appointment by the registered agent, a Certificate of Name Registration, Proof of Publication, or disclosure regarding the activities/history of the corporation’s principals. States may also impose post-qualification requirements, such as an Initial Report.

To be valid, these supporting documents generally must be obtained within a certain period of time prior to filing a foreign qualification. To help illustrate how requirements vary by state we created a map that provides a high-level overview of the "Proof of Existence" documentation requirement and the time-frame when it must be obtained.

Stay ahead of your foreign qualification responsibilities with BizFilings—we can assist you with every step of the foreign qualification process.

Foreign Qualification Supporting Documents Sample Map

Download your free copy of this map:

Foreign Qualification Supporting Documents Map